The media is interested in NEWS and not advertising your event. There are other places in the newspaper for advertising an event such as the community calendar. However, that doesn't mean you can't get that story published. If you want to be successful at getting your stories into print you must think of ways to present the story as newsworthy.
Keep in mind that the story is likely to appear in print if it:
- Is a timely human-interest story
- Is a story illustrating news trends or current events
- Is an activity involving prominent community members
- Is a medical or humanitarian project abroad
- Involves outstanding citizen volunteers
- Is a project with a strong visual element
- Is of local interest
If you think back to your successful publicity efforts you will see that at least one of these elements appears. So, rethink how you plan on promoting the story, and write it using one of these elements.